These make a great grab-n-go breakfast or snack idea for you and your kids. The whole wheat flour and flax adds flavour and a healthy kick to these delicious muffins.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Cook time 25 minutes | Makes 12 muffins
1/2 cup salted butter, at room temp.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 extra large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 large apples, peeled & cored, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners and spray with cooking spray.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Beat in the yoghurt, the mixture will look curdled, don’t worry!
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, flax and baking powders to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixer and beat on low until just combined.
- Stir in the apples by hand, do not over mix batter.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top with batter.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.