This dish is absolutely delicious! A sweet and sour sauce glazes the perfectly tender chicken thighs and makes for a truly comforting meal. With hints of coffee, fruit and deep caramel flavour, this gorgeous dish is a showstopper. Serve this rich ragout over gnocchi for a more filling meal or serve it with a fresh salad for a lighter meal option.
- 8 large chicken thighs, boneless, skinless & trimmed of excess fat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups of red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Demerara sugar, packed
- 1 cup honey
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp of smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp of cumin powder
- 4 tbsp of chilli flakes
- 1 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup of brewed espresso
- 1 cup Pistachio nuts, shells off and chopped
- 1 cup Pomegranate seeds
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
Gnocchi (store bought or homemade) prepared following the package directions.
- In a large skillet over high heat, sear seasoned chicken thighs in olive oil, on all sides until evenly browned. Remove from pan a reserve for later.
- Add chopped onions to the pan and sauté over medium heat until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and honey and garlic to onions and cook, stirring frequently, until a thick caramel forms, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices to the caramel and stir to combine. Add vinegar, pomegranate juice and reduce by half, about 10 mins.
- Add the chicken thighs back to the pan.
- Add ketchup and espresso. Bring to the boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes to thicken, stirring every 3 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened to coat the back of a wooden spoon, remove from heat. Using two forks shred the chicken thighs directly in the pan. Stir the shredded chicken into the sauce and mix well.
- Serve hot over gnocchi (potato dumplings). Garnish with pistachios, parmesan cheese, parsley and pomegranate seeds.